[TowerTalk] Re: Optimum Height for High Band Antennas

T A RUSSELL n4kg@juno.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:01:29 -0600

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997 23:22:06 -0500 (EST) "Charles H. Harpole"
<harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu> writes:

>I still say that if you must be limited to one beam and one height, a
>TH-7 at 70 feet is the best that can be had.  K4VUD

N4KG   response:

I have a TH6 at  80 ft  and a TH7 at 40 ft.  When the high bands are
wide open to Europe and Africa during daylight hours, the LOWER
antenna consistently outperforms the high one, sometimes by as
much as 10 to 20 dB!

If someone has a 70 to 90 ft tower, it is a simple matter to add a
SECOND tribander at 35 to 40 ft.  This is definately worthwhile.

Even a small 2 element tribander such as TH2, TA32,  or the
new Force 12   C3 and C3S  full size trapless antennas.  IMHO,
two element tribanders provide nearly as much (and possibly more)
gain as a small 3 element tribander with less weight, wind load,
and easy  side mounting to a tower leg.

Stacking and switching tribanders is a POWERFUL combination
with upper / lower / both options, even as low as 30 and 60 ft,
or up to 40 and 80 or 90 ft.

de  Tom  N4KG