[TowerTalk] telescoping steel mast vertical

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 06:23:22 -0800 (PST)

>Hi all -
>
> I've just purchased two Rohn H50 steel telescoping antenna support masts.
>They have 5 sections that extend to about 50 feet.  I bought them to support
>a G5RV or Double Zepp, but as I was surveying the installation area I
>thought maybe they could serve a dual purpose as verticals for 20 and/or 40
>meters.
>
> I figure these things can be guyed with "Kevlar+Dacron" non stretch rope
>(static test weight = 500 pounds) from "The Radio Works" and maybe mounted
>on an insulator. I'm having trouble getting Rohn to tell me whether or not
>this is ok - I bought the masts from Talley in San Diego and they had no
>information sheet on the masts.
>
> I would like to correspond with any of you that have done something similar
>or have thoughts about it.
>
> I also need to know a source of insulators for this kind of vertical.
>
> 73,
> Frank T. Brady - W0ECS
> Wildomar CA

Hi Frank,

One of the reasons why Rohn would shy away from your questions about using
the H50 for an antenna is that Rohn makes antenna supports and not antennas.
Antennas are not their expertise.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use an H50 for a vertical if
you matched it and loaded it correctly.

I great source of base insulators might be your local power company.  I
bought about 50 used insulators from an estate sale near my house that were
used in a substation owned by Bonneville Power.  My wife has them in her
garden as decorations, but they would be GREAT as vertical insulators.  They
are big enough to hold up a large tower.  I would not hesitate to put 100
feet of Rohn 45 on one them.  They weigh about 50 pounds each!  I paid $2
each for them but you might even get some for free!  If the power company is
throwing them away, it will cost them to take them to the land fill.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com