[TowerTalk] Arrival Angles

Jim Reid jreid@aloha.net
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:06:05 -1000

At 07:45 PM 12/15/97 +0000, Andy Cook G4PIQ wrote:

some text snipped:

>It's seems likely that arrival angles are not static over even short
>periods of time - listening to a signal with QSB on a low and a high
>antenna often shows the QSB to be out of phase between the two.
--another snip--
>On a similar topic, the folklore of the low bands is that there are
>often nights when the verticals are good and nights when the horizontal
>antennas are good. I've always put this down to differing arrival angles
>between those nights rather than anything fundamental about the arrival
>polarization. Anyone care to comment?

This phenomena is exactly why Yaesu offers the ability to
have the separate rcv ant input for the "sub" rcvr.  The
suggested method in the FT-1000 manual is to feed an input
from a vertical (or 2nd  beam at a different height) into the
BPF-1 antenna terminal of the sub rcvr.  See pg 31 of the
FT-1000 manual, "Antenna Diversity Reception".  The manual
author goes on to write, "..the vast potential for
optimizing reception of different signals using diversity
recetion with the FT-1000 is largely unexplored"

I use inverted V's into the BPF-1,  and then the V-beams on
the lower bands (30 on down) or the beam from 17 M on up.

Very interesting results.

73,  Jim, KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai