[TowerTalk] RADIAL QUESTIONS

Tom Osborne w7why@mail.coos.or.us
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:28:03 +0800

"Dick Green". wrote:>
> So, I went back and forth, lengthening the antenna until the transceiver
> reported minimum SWR at 7.150. At this point, however, the MFJ reported
> minimum SWR was ocurring at 7.300! I ignored the MFJ's results and have been
> operating happily on 40M ever since (the antenna is very broad; the SWR
> hardly budges across the entire band.)

Hi Dick. I have a three element vertical aray here, and the run of coax
to each element is about 50 feet and I do the switching and phasing
inside the shack.  I have adjusted the antennas at the base of the
vertials for as close to 1 to 1 as I can get. Usually about 1.6 to 1.8 to
1.  I have an extensive radial field under all three also the 160 meter
inverted L. They are just laying on the ground-all different lengths. I
tied the hub of each antenna together so that each antenna is using all
the radials.  It works very well.  I have found that the length of coax
going from the swr bridge to the phase box makes a difference on the swr.
 You might experiment with adding a length of coax from the swr meter to
the line going to your antennas.  I've found that makes a big difference.
 I have a switch box in the shack to switch the antennas and I
experimented with the length of the coax going from the box to the swr
meter till I got it the same as at the base of the antenna. You want to
be sure the coax from each antenna is the same length though. I think if
I put some kind of balun at the base of the vertical, it might keep the
swr from changing.  Another thing I did was make a coil choke right where
the coax came into the shack.  I had some problems with rf getting into
stuff in the shack.  After I wound the chokes, I didn't have any more
problems.  My antenna is swichable to 6 directions, and it sure has made
40 meter operating more fun.  Good luck and you will surely enjoy those
antennas. Merry Christmas
Tom W7WHY