[TowerTalk] Electric winches

david l hyman kb0onf@juno.com
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 09:10:36 -0600

On Sun, Dec 21, Fred  Ashley wrote:

>My old Towtec electric winch is just about shot after many years of use
on my Hygain 52-ft crank-up tower.  I will be needing to replace it in
the near future (snip)

I bought the same HyGain crankup from another ham 4 years ago. When HE
bought it from another ham it had an electric winch on it. He was advised
by HyGain to remove the winch ASAP and replace it with a manually
operated one because of the high incidence of failure on the electric
winch. When I got it . . . the manual winch was attached but the pulleys
from the electric winch were still in place.

I found that US Tower stocked a replacement electric winch specifically
made for the Hygain 52' crankup . . . but the price was (gulp) $1,200 . .
. which was more than I paid for the tower and a Mosely beam.

73 de Dave KB0ONF