[TowerTalk] baluns and wire antenna

L. B. Cebik cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:43:14 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, K7LXC wrote:
> In a message dated 97-12-30 12:45:22 EST, henry@rio.com writes:
>
> > the inverted v was the best compromise i came up with, the wire running 90
> >  and 270 degrees. this should have given me major lobes at 90 and 270
> >  degrees, right?
>
>     Well, I'm no LB Cebik but the lobes will not be off the ends but at right
> angles to the wires. Mostly at 0 degrees and 180 degrees. This'll be your
> North-South antenna.

The major lobes will indeed be broadside to the wire, as if it were a
dipole.  Sloping the wires into a Vee simply reduces the side nulls--the
greater the slope, the greater the reduction.  With low antennas--which
covers lots of 80 and 40 meter dipoles and Vees, the dipole yields an
oval, and the vee tends to make the oval a little more circular.  For
higher antennas (1/2 wl and up), the dipole end nulls are quite deep and
get deeper the higher you place the antenna in terms of wavelengths.  The
Vee simply reduces those nulls, making an hour glass into a peanut.

Hope this helps.

-73-

LB, W4RNL