Tower rebar bonding

Bill Hinkle kb3aug@juno.com
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 00:36:29 PST

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997 15:24:55 -0500 K7LXC@aol.com writes:

>>I'm no expert, but I've been told, and I've noted all commerical
>buildings
>>and the like using rebar are never welded - simply wire twisted and
>poured
>>over.
>>
>     That's normally true when installing structural reinforcing bar
>but in
>this instance the subject is an Ufer ground that uses the concrete and
>rebar
>as part of the ground system.  In this case the metal in the concrete
>has to
>be electrically bonded to prevent arcing.  This lack of bonding
>coupled with
>a lightning strike is the gensis of the folklore that a lightning
>strike will
>cause the concrete to explode.
>
>    For simple structural rebar applications, wire twists are the
>norm.
>
>73,  Steve  K7LXC
>
>     TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies and services for
>amateurs
>
>--
>Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com

I'm no expert either, but I have seen welded re bar cages stacked up
along the Highways at construction sites. Also look at the rigid
concrete base mount that Tri-Ex sells. It is made of re bar with steel
plates welded to it. Most of the re bar that is below the concrete is
welded so that you can just about drop it in, level it up and pour.  I
made my own base for  a LM-354,  but I used 1 inch steel rods. I wasn't
crazy about the plates being welded to the re bar and I worked in a
structural steel shop for 15 years. I did use re bar to tie it all
together and I welded it to the 1 inch            steel rods. How else
would I have made all those bolts line up?

You should be able to braze the copper to the re bar, all though I have
never tried it.

                               Hope this helps,   Bill