Fwd: Rotor question

UpTheTower@aol.com UpTheTower@aol.com
Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:11:11 -0500 (EST)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	w5fl@flash.net (Wendell - W5FL)
To:	UpTheTower@aol.com ('UpTheTower@aol.com')
Date: 97-01-27 16:32:49 EST

I used one of these for about 10 years.  They work, but when the wind blows a
little, you have to re-sync them by turning all the way to the stop (each
way) and pushing the lever on the bottom until the light goes out.  I am also
torn between purchasing the Yaesu 1000 and the Tailtwister or just
overhauling my old Ham 2 which is 20 years old.  The biggest difference in
the rotators is that no one except Yaesu services or has parts for their
rotators.  CDE (Hy-Gain now) rotor are supported by service centers that can
repair them or rebuild them.  I had a 2 element quad on the CD44 and it would
turn in the wind, but the indicator still shows ok.  The brake is not really
very good on this rotator, but the next higher price CDE rotator has a good
brake.  With 6 sq ft, it depends on your boom length.  If it is over 10 or 12
feet, you probably need a roator with a good brake.  Texas Towers is about
the most reasonable I have seen on rotators.

Wendell     W5FL     w5fl@flash.net