HD bit the dust...washed out its mouth

k4sb@avana.net k4sb@avana.net
Tue, 28 Jan 97 02:16:39 PST

I want to thank all you guys who responded to my previous post on my HD going bad. Well,
thanks to your remarks ( and a special kudos to Scotty ) I bought another of the same type,
changed the circuit board from the good one to the bad one, and it took off like a bandit.
Got all my data off ( and you can bet your ass there's a backup not two hours old ) and
reinstalled boards. It's so easy to do you could probably do it blindfolded...take off 5
screws and the cb lifts right off....there's about a 20 pin or so connector which mates
the two with the male pins sticking up from the sealed unit. That's it...When reinstalling
the board actually aligns itself with the pins...

Couple of comments....

Seagate told me they do not sell parts, nor do they repair HDs. So what I'm going to get
is a new one when I ship it tomorrow. They also told me the method some of you suggested
would not work because the cb had the old drive info ( fat? ) in one of the cb chips...
that slowed me down until I said, "whoa"...the FATs on the disks...it might read the FAT
into a chip, but no way is it permanently stored there... Seagate will not sell parts...
Trouble on the cb was one blown chip....

Which is why today, I ordered 2 Western Digitals. They may not be any better, but they
can't be any worse. ( he said )

Tnx again guys

Ed ( master HD technologist )
Name: Ed Sleight