[TowerTalk] Helicopters

Craig Clark nx1g@top.monad.net
Tue, 01 Jul 1997 09:51:41 -0400

        At 04:04 PM 6/30/97 -0400, you wrote:

>You should see the 22 year old punks that fly the Army helo's going to
>the Ranger training camp (mountaineering section) near my shack.  I was
>on the tower one day and could see the whites of the gunners eyes as they
>banked around my hilltop.  What's really scarey is when they come buzzing
>over in the middle of the night during a contest and the shack shakes.
>
>I called the Army HQ down south and had them put my towers on their
>advisory.  I dont know if it made a difference, but at least I tried.
>Someone once told me that they have to stay 100' above treetops.  No idea
>if that's true.

Doubt it. During basic training (Vietnam era at Ft. Bragg) we routinely flew
just above the tree tops doing infantry insertions. My guess is we were no
more than 50' over the trees. It's called "nap of the Earth" flying. It is a
real rush to be sitting on the deck of a Huey at 120 knts 50' over the trees.

I have a lot of respect for the guys (pilots and "grunts") who did go to
Vietnam
and got shot at.

When Devans was in operation, we had night flights from time to time. These
guys have night vision goggles and FLIR to keep them from hitting something
on the ground. I suspect there are specific rules abt height and night flying.

While I am prejudiced, these guys are the world's best! Let'em do what they
have to do!

73 Craig
		   Web Page coming along slowly
			www.radiobooks.com

			Craig Clark, W1JCC
	            ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG

	send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list

			Radio Bookstore
	Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
			(603) 899 6957
			(603) 899 6826 fax
			PO Box 209
			Rindge, NH 03461