[TowerTalk] Roof towers, tripods, etc.

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Tue, 1 Jul 97 10:03:22 -0400

On 6/24/97 23:46, N0OEL@aol.com at N0OEL@aol.com wrote:

>Please be aware that they put tremendious straing on roofs and in some
>communities you cannot get a building permit for one.    That pressure on the
>roof from the side of a strong wind can do in a roof and rip out the roof
>supports and have.
>Also, they are noisy and transmit wind noise to the roof and through the
>house with a      roof acting like a top of a "drum".

I had a 6 foot roof tower up for 8 years, and other than a few leaks, I
didn't experience any problem with either support strain or wind noise.

>On the other hand if you cant put up a tower they are not the worst
>alternative if you guy them well IN ADDITION to attaching the legs to 2x4
>supports that are held to the
>roof by like 2x4's attached below the roof  supports and held together by
>long bolts
>through the "sets" of the 2x4's forming kind of a 2x4 "sandwich".

My installation consisted of four six foot 2x6s. Two on the outside of
the roof, two on the inside. This created a "sandwich" across three roof
trusses. Three pieces of 1/4 inch threaded stock anchored each leg
through the roof. The outer 2x6s were also nailed to the roof plywood.

Guying wasn't needed, but I'd recommend guys for any roof tower over 10
feet in height.

The 2x6s caused the leaking problem. They would capture water on the
upper edge, and it would creep under the 2x6 and down through the
threaded stock. Took two gallons of roofing cement to build up enough
filler on the upper edge for proper drainage.

I've elected to wait until I can afford a freestanding tower rather than
repeat the roof tower experience with my residence. If I had a separate
garage, barn or other outbuilding, I'd probably feel differently.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm