[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearings

Pat Barthelow aa6eg@tmx.com
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 15:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

Thrust Bearings:

          When we speak of thrust bearings, here on Tower Talk, do we
mean any structure that provides structural sideways support of a
mast, above the rotator, as in a top "pointy" section of Rohn 25, or
do we mean this same sideways support PLUS vertical load bearing
capacity, which would unload the rotator of possibly heavy vertical
loads?
          When we are loading heavily a rotator, such as a Ham 4, with,
say a KT34 - XA, would it do a lot for the rotator to ensure that a
thrust bearing removes all vertical loads from the rotator, or is
mostly important to recess the rotator inside a tower, and support
the mast/antenna assembly from sideways wind loads?
          Has anyone found  a good, cheap thrust bearing, possibly
generic automotive axle hub/bearing assemblies that will work in the
antenna application?

73, DX de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ, The Contest Station from the
Government......
aa6eg@tmx.com

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm