[TowerTalk] correct beam headings

Earl W Cunningham k6se@juno.com
Tue, 08 Jul 1997 13:12:03 EDT

On Mon, 07 Jul 1997 22:46:14 -0400 Bob Locher <locher@sonic.net> writes:

>Probably the easiest way to do it is as was suggested by the Russian
amateur >whose call Iforget - line up two sticks on the north star at
night, and then
>translate it onto your rotor in daylight. The maximum error that way
>is 2 degrees.

I'm a perfectionist, but certainly not in the class of Michaelangelo.
The solar noon method of finding true north (by locating your tower's
shadow) is easier and more accurate than using Polaris.

BTW, solar noon is not very likely to be the same as noon on your
wristwatch  -- probably far from it.  For instance, my local solar noon
today is 12:56 PM PDT.  Find your local sunrise and sunset times and the
calculate the exact midpoint between them.  The sun only "moves" one
degree in four minutes, so you've even got room for a slight error if
you're not a staunch perfectionist, hi.

73, de Earl,  K6SE

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm