[TowerTalk] WRONG CATV HARDLINE?

ROBERT WANDERER aa0cy@robertwanderer.gardnerville.nv.us
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:23:07 -0700

It's CATV 75-Ohm Hardline. It comes in a variety of sizes. 11/16 is about 0.687 and there is a
0.65  and/or 0.675. Common sizes are .500, .650 or .675, .75, .860 and/or .875 and
0.66  then onto the inch and greater. The smaller sizes such as .5 and
(from way back) .412 are not used much
today because of attenuation at the higher frequencies (above 500 MHz).
While very expensive, Gilbert Engineering in Phoenix Ariz makes cable to N and UHF
connectors. Call them at 800.528.0199 or 800.528.5567.

CommScope is located in Hickory or Catawba, NC. I don't have their 800 # handy.

73,
Bob AA0CY

----------
From:  ROBERT SAUVAN[SMTP:cabmas@bankpds.com]
Sent:  Friday, July 11, 1997 4:55 PM
To:  'towertalk@contesting.com'
Subject:  [TowerTalk] WRONG CATV HARDLINE?

Hello everyone,
	As you all know,I have inquired about CATV hardline to be
used at my station.I have gained an overwhelming amount of info on
the subject.I thought I was close to my plan of attack until today.My
hardline was delivered by my buddy and I was shocked to see that it
was  only about 11/16 in. in diameter.It is blackjacketed,with aluminum condutor jacket.The inner conductor is copper covered aluminum wire.The innerconductor is about the same size as the center conductor on a PL fitting.Therefore it is to big to be soldered into a fitting.The outside diameter of the hardline is too small to be used with the plumbing fitting that so many
of you suggested I use for my adaptor.I was assuming the hardline I was
going to get was about 1 in. in diameter which most of the references from
my inquiry on the reflector were talking about.This is why I now question
whether or not this cable is going to work for me.The manufacturer name
on the cable is Commscope.Im not real concerned about adapting it to
the fittings I need,but I now question whether or not it is 75 ohm.Can I
assume it is since it is used for CATV? My buddy also indicated that this
was the biggest cable they use.I hope it is just a smaller type of cable
and it will work for me.I look forward to your responses.

	Thanks in advance,Bob-WT9Q