[TowerTalk] Installing a mast.

Jim Vining kc8pg@tir.com
Thu, 03 Jul 1997 17:14:31 -0700

Monte Stark wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I will soon be at the point of needing to put my mast down
> into the top of the tower.
>
> I am using a Rohn gin pole which is about 11' - 12'. The
> mast is 24'.
>
> How do I keep it hanging down?? Or would I be better off
> cutting about 4' off the mast? (I only need about 20' to
> handle what I'm doing).
>
> Thanks,
>
> 73, Ron,     SOWP 5545M,
>
> .........KU7Y.....ARCI #8829.....Monte "Ron" Stark.....
> ....ku7y@sage.dri.edu...........Washoe Lake, Nevada....
> ....QRP-L #17...ARS #49...NorCal #330.....NRA LIFE.....
>
> --
> Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Hi Ron,

	My best luck with installing 24' mast was before the first
sections were put up. I always tape the 24' mast into the first 3
sections of tower and stand all this up together. We installed one
24' mast after the tower was up and this was the most dangerous and
scary experience I have ever had on top of a tower. I decided that
I would never put myself in that position again.
	If you have no other choice I wud suggest that you make a gin
pole with at least 15' of strong pipe and tie off the mast so that it
will just clear the top of your tower. Gud luck and hang on tight, you
could be in for the ride of your life.....

--
Jim  Vining            KC8PG