[TowerTalk] "Ground Crew" @ tower installation

Dale Jones K5MM ddjones@nas.com
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 08:14:50 -0700 (PDT)

   To:  KG5U & K0GUG, et al:

   You both discussed using ground crews during tower/antenna install-
   ations:

   Having capable and experienced 'ground crew' help is just CRITICALLY
   IMPORTANT when installing towers and antennas.  The crew needs to
understand the lingo of tools, hardware, towers, ropes, carribeaners,
buckets, food, drinks, etc.

   For Americans, it is most helpful for the crew to speak the American
   version of the English language as a mother tongue.

   I had the unfortunate experience of being married to a British female
   once, and had the further unfortunate experience of asking that
   homosapien to help me by providing some 'ground crew' help on an
   antenna project one day.  While on top of the tower, using a gin-pole
   and its associated rope, I was holding an HF Yagi with my hands, and
   yelled down to this inept ground person to "Tie the rope off"!!

   That request didn't sink in very quickly....and eventually I had to
   xplain in micro-detail; "take the rope, put the end of it through
   a rung in the tower, and PLEASE proceed to tie a knot in the rope so the
   freeking antenna wouldn't fall down when my strength gave out!!"  That
   finally worked.

   Upon reaching the ground, I tried to be civil and ask "Didn't you
   understand me when I asked you to tie the g.d. rope off?".  The
   answer was "It was already OFF, YOU should have asked me to tie
   it ON"!!!  jesus christo!!  How stupid of me!!  Now I know better,
   but that water has already passed under the bridge.

   MORAL:  Don't use incapable, inexperienced, ignorant people for ground
   crews.  Get the BEST help you can afford, and feed them good sandwiches
   and all the Pepsi or Root Beer they want.  (No real beer, they might
   throw the empty bottles at you).  Especially, DO NOT use wives.....by
doing so, divorce courts get filled up, and YOU will have visions of
   committing hari-cari.

   73
   Dale  K5MM