[TowerTalk] Rohn tower assembly

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 12:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

> How much are they, Steve?
>  Is there a carabiner on each end of the sling?
>
>  I am interested.
>
>  How many would one need for a single tower,
>  2 A3S's and wire low band antennas?  2? 3? 4?

     Okay, I've had a number of inquiries about the carabiners
(care-a-beaners) so I'll take a minute here to provide some details.

     A carabiner is an aluminum oval that has a spring-loaded gate. You can
clip it to
anything that will fit through the mouth (haul rope, bucket, choker sling,
rotator U-bolt, etc. etc.). They act as a third hand and clip or unclip in a
flash. They are $7.70 each from TOWER TECH.

    I have a daisy chain of 10-12 of them that I ALWAYS have when I'm on a
tower (they're clipped to my climbing belt). It's amazing how many times I
wind up using ALL of them during a 'normal'  job. I would suggest getting 2-3
of them and start using them. You can always get more if you get real
enthusiastic. These devices are not OSHA approved for man-use.

    Slings are 1-inch nylon webbing continuous slings that have the ends sewn
together. The most useful length for tower work is 3 feet. You just loop them
over a tower rung or whatever load you've got. They are quite usefull as
chokers where they are wound around an object and passed through it's end
loop. This is how you pull up masts and other irregular objects. Six foot
slings are primarily used to sling antenna booms when raising or lowering;
they're really too long for typical tower work. These are OSHA compliant and
have a 300 pound safe working load. A 3-footer is $7.50. I have 6-8 of these
with me at all times.

    Anyone interested in a catalog of these and other useful tower hardware
can send an SASE to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072 and I'll be
happy to zip one out to you.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

     TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs