[TowerTalk] stacking antennas & Rohn specs

k4isv@mikwest1.westky.com k4isv@mikwest1.westky.com
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 01:41:37 +0000

> From:          K7LXC@aol.com
> Date:          Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:12:19 -0400 (EDT)
> To:            k4isv@mikwest1.westky.com, w7ni@teleport.com
> Cc:            towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject:       Re: [TowerTalk] stacking antennas & Rohn specs

> In a message dated 97-07-15 02:35:07 EDT, k4isv@mikwest1.westky.com writes:
>
> > Since I have addressed this before I will be brief:  on a 190ft rohn
> >  45 i have 2 5 ele 20m - 44 ft boom es 3 4 ele on 26 ft booms; on a
> >  rohn 25 180 ft i have 2  6 ele on 40 ft booms and 6 4 ele on 22 ft
> >  on 10m i have 4 6 ele on 26 ft booms- on 40m full size 3 ele over
> >  a klm 4 ele on a rohn 45 up 170 ft--- my point is simply to say
> >  these towers will hold up much much much more than you would expect
> >  with proper guying... no engineering-- i just keep adding antennas
> >
>       Two things:
>
>       First, Bud, you live in one of the most benign wind spots in the
> country - the whole state is only 70 MPH, the lowest rating given.
>
>      Second, you don't always get a ticket each time you speed, do you?
>
>      You've been lucky. My advice to other TowerTalkians with similar
> aggressive tower plans? DON'T.
>
> 73,  Steve   K7LXC
>

>hey steve,  the ohio valley has very severe thunderstorms! had one
last nite with gusts over 60mph... did cause the 3 ele 80m beam to
slip a bit but fixed it this am... have had two tornados hit my qth
causing a 2 ele klm beam to fold back onver itself ( the driven
element actually was laying on top of the reflector without the boom
breaking) . i have had trees over 100 years old actually twisted out
of the ground with some of these storms.  BUT I HAVE NEVER LOST A
PROPERLY GUYED TOWER!  several of the towers have been up over 20
years with the present loading--- so i dont think it is a fluke!  i
might add that two years ago i lost 22 separate yagis  ( believe me
not a good day) but no tower fell!!!  guys im telling u, they will
hold much much much more than the rating!

again have fun-- if it falls put it back up- 73, bud