[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 base

Chuck Dietz dietz@texas.net
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 23:05:50 -0500

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-15 18:29:11 EDT, k1my@nlis.net (Bruce Makas) writes:
>
> > I intend to partially bury the bottom section of my Rohn 45 tower in
> concrete
> > as per spec. Is there any advantage to using the short SB45G  vs using a
> > regular 10 foot section?
>
>      The SB short base is a little cheaper on a per foot basis. It doesn't
> have the leg flanges on it so it's a little cheaper to manufacture. Other
> than that, the materials are identical.

Here in Houston when I last priced them, the 5' base sections were
slightly higher per foot than the standard 10' section.  On that basis I
have told people that it is cheaper to bury 1/2 a section of tower as
the base.

I had not considered the lack of flanges on the 5' base section as
making it cheaper to manufacture.  I guess my local supplier added for
the slow moving item.

Chuck, KE5FI