[TowerTalk] Installing a mast.

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

>Monte,
>Tie your main line to the mast at the 14' mark. Tie a tag line to the
>10' section. When your ground crew pulls the mast to the top of the
>tower, have them turn it over using the tag line.

Let's see now, your 24 foot mast weighs 150 pounds.  The ground crew will
have to put 150 pounds of pull on the down rope to raise it which means the
gin pole will have to support 300 pounds.  Now another ground person will
pull down on the tag line at, say, 50 pounds to turn the mast so the 14 foot
end is pointed up.  The rest of the ground crew will have to pull harder by
another 50 pounds to offset this additional 50 pounds so now the gin pole is
supporting 400 pounds.  I'd say that is REAL scary and I damn sure wouldn't
stand under it OR be on the tower if this is a standard Rohn gin pole . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com