[TowerTalk] WB0W Tower Jack and #25 takedown

Mark Shaum mashaum@fcg.net
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:05:58 -0500

Paul asks:

>      I also have a FK-2568 tower.  Do you climb it to the
top to work on it
>      or fold it over to work on?  I have always wondered
if the tower is
>      made/supposed to support a man's weight if not
folded over.
>      any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated.
>
>      Paul
>      WG0G/W2

The limiting factor with the Rohn foldovers is the hinge
when the system is being cranked over, which is where the
100 pound maximum top weight rating comes from.  When the
tower is straight up, it's as stable to climb as any other
68' #25 with the same two sets of guys.  With three
sections (two standard and a typical 8-9ft top) above the
hinge, that's a huge moment on the hinge bearings, as the
system is designed to be a little top-heavy anyway (or it
wouldn't fold particularly well!).

During takedown, we removed the topmost section while the
tower was folded over.  The rest were removed in the usual
fashion while the tower was in it's vertical configuration.

I plan to replace the original 20 ft 1.9 in o.d. pipe mast
(the rotor originally mounted at about the 60 ft point, the
idea was to have the extra-long mast take up the 'twist'
rather than the rotor) with much shorter 2 in 1/4 in wall
aluminum mast mounted near the top.  Considerable weight
reduction.  The antenna will probably be the original TET
4el tribander on a 20 ft boom mounted as close to the top
of the 25AG-2 top section as possible.

73! - Mark

Mark Shaum  K9TR
mashaum@fcg.net