[TowerTalk] UPDATE: light standards as towers?

Scott Bullock twoway@scoden.ma.ultranet.com
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 05:35:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Patrick, fyi this is a reply to someone else that had sent basically the
same thing.

>Hi Joe, actually no, Mass building code is pretty strict, my engineer has
been educating me on it :) You would be surprised to hear that from his
calculations, most manufacturers underspec their tower bases! Most do not
spec their towers with ice! Unfortunately we have to contend with that in
New England. I was shocked when he showed me the derated specs for ice/no
ice! It really adds significant stress to the tower and increases the
"uplift" of the base substantially!

Many of the tower manufacturers' crankups and self supporters wouldn't
support a toothpick in 90 mph winds! Most are spec'ed at 50-70 mph, so
therefore the bases are shown appropriately very small.

FYI, We are designing my tower for minimum 25 square feet at 100 mph with 1"
radial ice, something that many towers companies don't take into account
with their specs. Some manufacturers have specs with 1/2"ice, but here in
Massachusetts, we can have significantly more that their spec.  I have seen
up to 3" ice on towers at commercial sites where we have equipment. No fun
going to a transmitter building in the winter with that on the tower!  :)

I have finalized my "stack" as being th-7dx, a3ws with 30 meter addon, and
40-2cd. This also leaves me a little loading to play with later on if I
decide to add additional fixed monobanders, while still having a reliable
safety factor built into the tower. I'll followup with the reflector when we
get the final specs done to let everyone know what the final outcome is.
73,
Scott
KA1CLX