[TowerTalk] Rohn RTP Tower

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:07:39 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-07-23 08:28:40 EDT, sandy.balzarini@iis.varian.com
(Greville Balzarini) writes:

> I am in the process of configuring a free standing tower installation.
>
>  I have considered the Trylon towers but find the loading not adequate for
my
>  situation. ( 72 ft / 22 sq. ft / 100mph )
>
>  I was browsing the web and found some comments on the Rohn tower model
RTP.

>  Does anyone have experience with this type of tower ?  Wind loading
figures,
>  height available, etc...

     The Rohn RTP (Rotator, Thrust Plate) is the ham version of their popular
SSV series tower. It's a self-supporting tower that'll go to 300 feet.

     Getting one of these is different than buying 45G etc. If you are
interested in getting a quote on one of them, what you do is give Rohn your
county (for windspeed) and the load that you're planning on putting on it.
Then they design the appropriate tower for that scenario. A typical cellular
headload may be 90 sq.ft.; if you tell them you need 90 sq.ft. of wind load
at 100 MPH with a 1/2 inch of ice - that's what they design and manufacture
for you. Two SSV/RTP's may use the same numbered sections but could be
completely different in terms of wind load capacity and materials. Rohn has
10-20 different iterations of each section depending on the wind load
requirement.

     So if you need a 100 foot tower and you want to put 50 sq.ft. of
antennas on it, they can provide it for you (or any other configuration).
Another nice thing about this type of tower is that it comes with stamped PE
drawings for your state as part of the package.

     I'm a Rohn dealer and can get you a quote on any SSV/RTP configuration
if you're interested. BTW, a recent commercial quote for 120' of SSV rated to
110 MPH with 90 sq.ft. of headload plus a variety of solid dishes and
communications antennas was for $12,850.00. This is a BIG tower. An amateur
tower would be more in the $3-6,000.00 range. Prices of course are FOB
factory.

     Rohn catalogs that have the RTP are five bucks from TOWER TECH.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

   TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs