[TowerTalk] Meters

Rob Hummel rhummel@cheshire.net
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

>Some questions:
>  How many inches to a mile?
>  How many ounces in a ton?
>  How many cubic inches in a gallon?
>  And if you're east of the Atlantic?

You make my point for me! The answer is, "Who cares?" The average person in
daily life has NO need to know the number of ounces in a ton. It's as
meaningless as the diameter of the solar system in Angstroms.

>> Metrites criticize the English system as arbitrary. But at the end of the
>> day, I can always find my foot.
>I dare say your foot may not be an exact twelve inches...
>
>Besides, the base unit of the SI system is derived from the
>circumference of the earth--the circumference over the poles is
>40 000 km.

Originally, yes, but my point is that that's as arbitrary a measurement as
the length of the king's foot. The circumference of the Earth is NOT 40kkm
anywhere -- it's just a made-up number.

>> I once tried a 25 meter tower, but found that an 82-foot one worked better.
>That's only because it sounds higher, thereby lowering your voice by
>at least three full tones when you tell the station you're working!

Cool! That I didn't know!

>Now, to relevant stuff:  Tool and hardware sizes are much simpler in
>the metric system.  For example, spanners/wrenches/sockets/nuts/bolts
>are numbered in their mm size, which is an integer.  Instead of
>having to look for a 17/163" tool, you can simply grab a 12.  Bolts
>are similarly numbered by diameter (e.g. an 8 mm bolt).  And, best of
>all, wires are sold by surface area (2 sq. mm) or diameter (1 mm),
>depending on the application.  How much current does a number 22 wire
>carry anyway?

Pish. If I take my 17/32" wrench and write a "16" on it, it's just as easy
to find in the drawer. The actual size of the tool is irrelevant. Look at
letter drills (Size A?) for an example.

People try to sell the metric system saying it makes life easier. But most
people who found a pint just right at the pub find a liter too much and 500
ml too little.

73, Rob

Rob Hummel (WS1A)
<rhummel@cheshire.net>