[TowerTalk] Come-a-long

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:42:35 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-06-09 08:37:33 EDT, w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher -
W4AN) writes:

> I bought 3 come-a-longs from hardware stores.  Each one was junk.
>
>  Where does a person get one that you can trust?  Brand?

    There are many brands of comealongs and many degrees of usefullness and
reliability. Too many to make any definitive recommendations.

    Nonetheless, I just bought a Little Mule 1-ton at Home Depot and it's
great. My advice would be to 1) let your wallet be your guide and 2) buy them
from an industrial supplier and not the local hardware store.

     Unless you've owned or used a couple of comealongs, the differences
between them are not obvious. The cheaper ones ($25-30) typically leave stuff
out while the better ones ($35-50) have the stiffer frame, double ratchet
drive and reversing mechanism that makes them the ones to buy.

      Oh, and be sure that any comealong you buy has spring loaded gates on
the hooks; you don't want them coming off (falling off?) at an inconvenient
time.

     When erecting towers, 3 comealongs and 3 Klein cable grips (one for each
anchor/guy wire) is the ONLY way to efficiently plumb the tower, put initial
tension on the guys and hold the guy wires while you connect them to the
turnbuckles.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

     TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm