[TowerTalk] RE: Question on choke balun (black magic)

Dr. Richard W. Musicer n6cr@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:34:48 -0500 (CDT)

As long as someone brought up the subject of coax baluns for the
Cushcraft A3WS...

Can someone help me understand why:

Cushcraft specs 8 turns on a 6" diameter, which is a total of 13 feet,
for the A3WS.

HyGain, for their 12/17 duobander specs 12 turns, 6" diameter for a
total of 19 feet.

The ARRL Handbook wants 6.5 turns on a 5" diameter for a total of 8
feet for a 12/17 meter antenna.

Is all this just black magic?  I have a very high degree of confidence
in HyGain testing and engineering as well as in W7EL, but the
difference in the balun sizes is far more than just academic.  I would
agree that the simple ferite bead balun solution is MUCH better, but in
my case because of stacked antennas, I am trying to burn up coax length
to the lower antenna anyway--might as well just wind a balun...but to
what length on what diameter?

Any thoughts/opinions welcome...
73, Rick, N6CR - Atlanta

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm