[TowerTalk] Gin Pole rope

Patrick Lynd patrickl@wco.com
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:19:28 -0700

Dave Hawes wrote:

> On 15 Jun 97, Patrick Lynd wrote:
>
> [snip a bunch of very interesting stuff]
>
> Patrick, does this comment only apply to knots used to support
> people?  I have been using the bowline knot for many years to support
> equipment, etc., and it has served me very well.
>
> Dave N3RD

Dave:

The bowline has served very well over the years but like anything else
it can be improved on. Believe it or not bowlines can slip. It is also
sort of hard to tie for the beginner and can be a real touch knot to
untie after it's been under load.

It can be used for loads other than human but why use two different
knots when one will do the job for both applications? The common knots
in use today in the Fire Service for rescue work and personal safety are
all based on the figure eight knot. It's fast, simple to learn, easy to
untie after loads, and test have shown that figure eight knots are safer
under loads.

The basic knots are easy to learn and your local FD will be more than
happy to show you how. I would also ask them to order the IFSTA manual
on knots for you. Heck they may even have one laying around that they
will give you.

Patrick(AC6YD)

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm