[TowerTalk] Battle Creek Special Legacy

Ralph Fedor rfedor@cloudnet.com
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:41:58 -0500

Charlie (W0CD), George (K8GG), and George (W8UZV) really deserve the
gratitude of the deserving low banders.  I've used the Battle Creek Special
from the Falklands, from South Sandwich, from Peter I, from Easter Island,
and most recently from Heard Island.

With each experience they take the feedback from the users and make changes
that are appropriate.  The Battle Creek we took to Heard Island was their
latest and greatest heavy duty version, designed to withstand the winds we
knew we would encounter.

The antenna withstood the winds without a hint of a mechanical problem.  If
you worked Heard on 160, you likely have the Battle Creek to thank.  It also
handed out QSO's on 80 and 40 cw.

Of course when these antennas finally find their way back to the Battle
Creek crew (the Heard Island antenna is still on the high seas somewhere)
there is a lot of work to be done on the antennas.  They are typically dirty
-- my expeditions usually leave them smeared with a mixture of penguin
guano, sea manure, and penguin feathers.  The radial wires that are nicely
coiled for rapid deployment are usually fouled or broken from a hasty
take-down, and there is invariably a missing part of two.

The guys clean them up, repair them, and prepare the kit for another fast
strike installation.

Thanks, Charlie, George, and George.

73 -
Ralph  -  K0IR