[TowerTalk] twr selection update

Frank T. Brady ftbrady@cosmoslink.net
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:51:42 -0700

Friends,

Just thought I'd share my latest thoughts about how I can afford a tower AND
have enough money left to put antenna(s) on it.

I'm very close to buying a Tryon Titan T400 or T500 series self supporting
rigid tower.  The prices are from (US) $1000 for the T400 56ft to $1700 for
the T500 72ft.  The T500 is more than husky enough to put a 20ft
Chrome-molly mast with 12 feet above the top of the tower and stack two
husky antennas.

The T400 and T500 series have max wind load values @ 70mph of 34 and 45 sq
ft respectively.  Selecting the T500 more than compensates for the reduction
in these maximums due to stacking above the tower top.

The only disadvantage here is that I have to climb the tower to install the
antenna(s) - but I would have to do that anyway with a crank-up ( it's just
a matter of how high).

I think I'm on to something here - the savings in tower costs (while
increasing the wind load maximums) is about $5000 dollars over the HDX572 !!!
With savings of this magnitude I can afford to have a professional climb the
danged tower and install the antennas!

If anyone sees any glaring errors - I'm all ears as usual.

73,
 Frank - W0ECS

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm