[TowerTalk] Minooka - Anyone Using or Familiar with?

Craig Clark nx1g@top.monad.net
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:05:35 -0400

At 09:25 AM 6/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Have always wanted to build a Minooka Special, most might know this
>antenna by the term "Battle Creek Special" which has been used
>successfully on many Dxpeditions.
>
>I'm interested if anyone has built a 40/80m version using a loading coil at
the top of the vertical?

Hi Dan.

Do you have a copy of the article? I can copy for you if you'd like.

I built one while I was in the Army stationed in Chambersburg PA. Worked
well with a marginal ground system. V-E-R-Y narrow operating window
tho...8-10kcs.

One learning I had was to be careful of PVC pipe. It gets very hot with the
tight wound coil. W1FB even had one burn up on him while we were both at ARRL!

Biggest pblm with the design is hi-q, small bandwidth. There are other
designs that have greaterbandwidth and do just as well.....without having to
make a big coil.

Hope these thought help. 73 Craig

		   Web Page coming along slowly
			www.radiobooks.com

			Craig Clark, W1JCC
	            ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG

	send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list

			Radio Bookstore
	Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
			(603) 899 6957
			(603) 899 6826 fax
			PO Box 209
			Rindge, NH 03461