[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline connectors

K8DX, Scott Detloff ni8l@imperium.net
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:31:56 -0400 (EDT)

At 07:22 PM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Fellow tower talkians,this will be my first attempt at requesting info
>from Tower Talk.I hope someone can help me.I recently aquired a
>large amount of CATV hardline.I need to adapt the hardline to standard
>PL 259 fittings.I have seen articles about this but dont recall where.Has
>anyone fabricated any or are there any manufactured that dont cost a
>bankroll.I will thank you all in advance and look forward to seeing what
>all the answers to my question might bring me.
>
>73 de WT9Q--Bob

Bob,

I picked up about 3000' of .860 CATV from a cable company about 15 miles
away last
summer.  I had the same questions that you are asking.  My solution was to
use copper
plumbing tubing (one inch diameter I think) and solder an SO-239 on one end
and to
cut an "X" about half way down a seven inch piece so it can be crimped on
over the CATV
with a hose clamp.  You will need to go to an automotive store to find small
diameter
copper tubing just large enough for the cable center to "slide" through and
solder it
to the center of the SO-239. (use only teflon or they will melt!)  Because
the expansion/ contraction rates are different the center must be allowed to
float.  I make sure that
about three inches are in contact when it is fitted.  Don't forget to cut to
a multiple of a
half wavelength and add the needed lengths of RG213 at each end.  Also be
sure to
Penetrox the inside of the connector and waterproof the outside.  Have CATV
for EVERY
feedline here and it works great!  Let me know if you need any clarification
on anything.
Much easier to see than explain HI! GL.

73...Scott K8DX (ex NI8L)

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm