[TowerTalk] Disassembling Rohn 25 foldover help

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:52:19 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-06-25 07:23:54 EDT, mashaum@fcg.net (Mark Shaum)
writes:

> I'm assuming that I will run into some sections that won't come apart
>  easily on this 15 year old tower.  I plan to spray all bolts/joints with
>  penetrating oil about 3 days before disassembly time and again a day
>  before.  I would like some comments on the use of a propane torch to heat
>  the 'stuck' joints.  With most metal components, I've found that a
>  combination of heat and lubricants will generally do the trick.  Outside
of
>  damaging any paint, will a propane torch do any damage to the galvanized
>  coating and/or general strength of the steel at the coupling point?  I can
>  also take up a small scissors jack, but the crossmembers on #25 are so
>  thin, I'm concerned about warping or breaking the welds if a jack is used.

      The spray penetrant won't do anything with the leg joints but may be
useful for the leg nuts and bolts. I would only use a minimum amount of spray
application as you really don't want a bunch of slippery oil running down the
legs.

     Skip the propane torch and scissor jack and do it the easy way -- use a
Tower*Jack. This simple and highly effective device will pry apart stuck
tower sections of 25, 45 and 55G. The first time you use it, it will have
paid for itself. They're $39.00 from TOWER TECH.

>  Assuming I can get things off down to the hinge section, is it feasable to
>  bolt the hinge together (Rohn literature refers to a 'shipping tab' of
some
>  sort used for this purpose), and then lower the entire boom assembly with
>  the gin pole?

     Don't even think about it - this thing is HEAVY! Disassemble it on the
tower and lower it one piece at a time.

>  I don't think I'll have any assistants climbing up with me.  Hopefully the
>  40lb 25G sections will be manageable, but I'm not sure about that boom
>  (100-150lbs?).

     See comments above. BTW, the Rohn ginpole is only rated to a 45G section
- 70 pounds.

>  Final question.. can somebody forward an address or telephone number for
>  WB0W (the gin pole man).  $495 for the Rohn EF2545 gave me a bit of
sticker
>  shock.  And as an FYI, Rohn no longer supplies adapters for #55 (I plan a
>  55 installation next spring), and may cease production on the EF2545 soon.

>  Apparently there is a liability factor that is scaring off most of the
>  ginpole manufacturers.

     True. Gaylen, WB0W, has really nifty ginpoles for half that price. They
will also work on smaller legs and even 55G. He's at 800-626-0834 or
wb0w@smartnet.net or wb0w@ibm.net. I think he changed ISPs but one of the
email addresses will work. Tell him that I sent you, he'll take care of you.

    BTW, dismantling a tower is just about the MOST DANGEROUS tower activity
you can undertake (no pun intended). Since you put this tower up yourself,
it's much better but please use utmost caution with any tower that you DON'T
have any experience with. Don't ask for gory details - there are many.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm