[TowerTalk] TH7 versus KT34XA

David O Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 13:31:18 EDT

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:19:02 -0700 "Bob Wruble" <ai7b@teleport.com>
writes:

>Have 3 kt34'xa in a stack.....i went with kt34xa's becuz if the
>success of certain well known contesters who used a
>single kt34xa at 70' to kick butt for years.......Dan Honda
>w7wa.

That's interesting. Dan's very successful setup was described
to me by Danny, K7SS, and was the inspiration for my
KT-34XA/40-2CD combination.

>kt34'xas are a bitch to build (at least very time consuming)
>and if u make an error early on in construction you get to
>rebuild them !!  but if u take ur time and follow the instructions
>to the letter and remeasure each element CAREFULLY before
>putting the antenna in the air it will wk as advertised.

I find the best test for each element half is to take a plain
old ohmmeter, and measure from the 10 meter capacitor can to
the 15 meter capacitor can. This one measurement tests EVERY
joint in the element half. It should read less than 0.5 ohm,
after subtracting the resistance of the ohmmeter leads.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm