[TowerTalk] Beam Recommendation Wanted

Tom Osborne w7why@mail.coos.or.us
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 20:36:10 +0900

Michael Mraz wrote:

> Although I much prefer Hy-Gain antennas, the A3S is a fine antenna also.
> It isn't as mechanically rugged as the Hy-Gains but you probably wouldn't
> notice it unless you took it on an expedition to a windy place. Our A3S at
> VK0IR had two elements rotate 45 degreeson the boom in the last windstorm.
> The 20-3CD had a reflector fatigue and snap --- Cush doesn't use damping rope
> in the elements as Hy-Gain does.
>
> But you can't argue with the number of Qs we made, using Cush antennas on
> 20m and above.
>
> 73   Mike   N6MZ

Hi Mike.  I live in Coos Bay, OR right on top of a 450 foot hill, and in
the winter we get lots of 70 and 80 mph winds here.  I drilled a hole
thru the boom and bolted the elements down and never had a problem after
that..  Although you are right about the boom to mast clamps not being
very good. I had a Hy-Gain TH3jr once, but forgot and loaded the amp up
into it and kinda smoked the traps hi.  It was a good little antenna tho.
73 and CUL
Tom W7WHY

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm