[TowerTalk] drilling chromoly es similar pipe

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:12:37 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-06-30 12:45:32 EDT, k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
writes:

> Opinion:  I don't like any holes in my mast.  Now, I have never use
>  Chrome-Molley masts and I know they are hard, but I have used steel masts.
>  I have drilled holes to connect masts together..etc..etc...and the holes
>  wallow out over a period of time.  The beam then really moves in the wind
>  and damages the rotor.  I have tried all sorts of schemes to stop this
from
>  happening...using shoulder bolts, heating the metal and pressing on the
>  bolts, etc...etc.  It will wallow out.  The best solution is
>  never..NEVER...drill a hole in a mast.

      A GOOD point!

     If the purpose of the aforementioned hole is for pinning the mast, like
Lee says the forces just get transferred down to the next weak point in the
system which is generally the gears or brake in the rotator. It's much easier
and cheaper to realign an antenna system that was turned in the wind than
replacing a busted rotator. My advice is the same as Lee's - don't pin the
mast.

    If you want more resistance in the mast/rotator clamp interface, put a
sheet of rubber between the two instead of bolting it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

Search:			  http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm