[TowerTalk] Rain Static - Anything to Do?

CQK8DO@aol.com CQK8DO@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:50:21 -0500 (EST)

<< I have also noticed, during the famous New England snow storms, that there
is
 a static field building up from time to time, not generated by direct hits,
 which starts like "tack, tack, tack" in very slow intervals, increases in
 speed of repetition, than a larger "tack" and static silence for maybe a few
 minutes, and again the static building.

 The exact same phenomena occured every winter when flying  Bellanca's wooden
wonder in dry snow.... the electrical discharges off the airframe would be so
loud and so continuous that contact with ATC would be lost until the big pop,
then I had about 5 seconds to get my instructions from them between the
clicks before the rate and volume again took the radios out... So I would
tell them to wait until I said go, which tied the channel up of course...
Needless to say they were not amused.... I will say that the King KX-155
radios took it all in stride during the 8 years I had the plane and I did not
have any receiver front end failures....

Denny