[TowerTalk] Troubleshooting an A3

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:01:18 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-03 12:48:46 EST, k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
writes:

<<  We found enough water in the driven element, close to the boom,
 that had been trapped in the element close to the boom...that the water just
 ran out.  Apparently, water had gotten into the element but had collected
 not in the trap, but in the tube that is attached to the boom.   >>

      Very interesting!  What happens is water condenses inside the element.
 Since water vapor is pretty small, it'll get inside under the right
conditions.  Then it collects into drops and - guess what? - the drops are
too big to drain out of the element.

      The same thing happens with antenna booms.  Many times I've slung an
antenna to lower it down and one end of the boom tips way down.  You re-sling
it, the water sloshes to the other end and it tips the other way.  Argh!  If
you remember, drill a weep hole in those rubber end caps on the boom and
you'll prevent this annoying problem.

73,  Steve   K7LXC