[TowerTalk] Resonant Guy Wires - detuning

Wendell - W5FL w5fl@flash.net
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 23:58:12 -0600

I just put up my Rohn 45 Foldover tower (64 feet) with 4 guys at 30 feet and 4 guys at 58 feet.  The guy radius is a very small 25 feet.  The top guys are at a 60 degree angle from horizontal, but are 63 feet in length.  My 80 meter dipole works, but has a narrow bandwidth with a 2.6 VSWR bandwidth from 3.5 to 3.8 Mhz.  On a previous tower, the bandwidth was 3.5 to 4.0 Mhz.

Question:  Does anyone have any experience in detuning the guy wires with ferrite or anything else to move the resonance away from 80 meters?  Ed has suggested and I agree that Phillistrand is the obvious solution if it is as strong as the 1/4 inch ehs guys as they are fairly highly stressed at 110 mph design rating of the tower and guying system.  I dislike insulating the guys or changing to Phillistrand as the guys are presently part of my lightning grounding system.

I posted a previous message concerning loading the tower as a vertical on  80 meters but got a very limited response, without doing away with the grounded guy wires.  I need to use the tower for 30, 40, and 80 meter antennas, but they can be no higher than 55 feet if they are delta loops, dipoles, or slopers.