[TowerTalk] AB105

Bill Hider n3rr@erols.com
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 05:02:15 -0800

Gary Nieborsky wrote:

> Disciples of Tower Talk,
>
> Where does one get AB105 (the holiest of holy cow! towers)?  I haven't ever
> seen one out west.....is it a east coast thing?  The King Tower Talker,
> K7LXC, whispered to me at the local hamfest that it was a military surplus
> item but my searches of known surplus haunts has turned up nada.  Is this
> Holy Grail of Tower-dom hard to come by?  Does greasing the palms of surplus
> depot E-5's help?
>
> Worthy seeker of the Tower begs for enlightenment.
>
> Gary K7FR
>
> --

Gary,

That tower hasn't been manufactured in nearly 50 years!  "All" of what
is left is probably owned by hams and passes from ham to ham upon their
Earthly demise.  Some AB-105 is available from hams who stockpiled it
and are selling it now, but those who have some are usually "saving it'
for a future tower installation.

Every time a AB-105 tower is sold, a 'lil bit of AB-105 is lost to the
concrete base remaining in the ground.  Eventually, it'll all be gone!

There are three versions of the product (AB-105) and other, slightly
smaller versions of a similar tower made by the same company. I have the
so-called heavy duty AB-105 bought from a fellow PVRCer in 1994.

Good luck obtaining any.  It is the holy grail of towerdom, and very
hard to find!

Bill, N3RR