[TowerTalk] Bolt trivia

rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:06:45 -0800 (PST)

Keith wrote:
>The first section joint had the bolts "out".  After getting gouged
>several times before the next section was even up, I said "the he** with
>THIS" and went back to the more typical practice of "nuts in".
>
>I doubt there is much of a diff on tubular leg towers and keeping all
>your skin when climbing is a plus...

I agree with you Keith... I can't believe there is any difference in
strength which would make us all put the nuts facing outward.  I just put up
a 100-ft Rohn 45 at W6EEN and I was struck how overly LONG the 7/16 bolts
were... like at least an inch sticking out of the nut!  To me that would not
be an inconvenience... but a real hazard!

As with most things in life, I suspect there is a dollar bottomline here
someplace.  Maybe it goes like this:  Commercial installers often bid a
tower installation as fixed price.  Therefore, it is in their interest to
get it done as quickly as possible.  Maybe they like to use a power driver
(electric or air) to spin the nut FAST, and this relatively bulky tool needs
to stay outside the webbing.  So they put the nut on the outside for their
short-term convenience, not being concerned for who may have to climb the
tower later, for maintenance or whatever.

We hams who work with ratchet drivers and deep sockets don't mind reaching
inside the tower to turn the nut... because we know that WE have to climb it
again later!

BTW I enjoyed meeting you at the banquet table at WRTC last summer, it was a
great time!  And congrats on a super new call.

Glenn K6NA