[TowerTalk] 205CA vs 204BA

Roger A. Cox WB0DGF hygain@compuserve.com
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 13:50:47 -0500

The 205CA is on a 34 foot boom.  W2PV has shown that with this length boom
on 20m, usually you can get good gain OR good F/B but not both at the same
time.  The older 205BA had good gain, approx. 6.9 dBd but only 15 dB F/B.
The newer 205CA has aprox. 6.5  dBd with 30 dB F/B.  The 204BA has approx.
6 dBd and 27 dB F/B on a 26 foot boom.  I do have a model of the 205CA
which acheives >7 dBd with approx 20 dB F/B but the impedance is around
15-20 ohms, and the bandwidth is limited.  If anyone is interested, I can
provide this.  I do not think that you can gain much by using 4 elements on
a 34 foot boom.  I have tried this, and you end up with the same tradeoffs.

73 Roger WB0DGF (Hy-Gain)