[TowerTalk] "Using Silicone Grease"

Roger L. Elowitz K2JAS@worldnet.att.net
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:51:24 -0500

Hi Steve et al,

While we're talking about the "straight dope".... My 2M AEA Isopole broke
its base insulator when it crashed into the roof.  Inside, to my amazement
was a base loading coil completely saturated in silicone grease.  The top
end of the coil was "press-fit" against the aluminum vertical rod.... no
screw, no weld, no nothing.... only pressure!!!... to make the contact
and... it never, ever showed any sign of intermittent connection or corrosion.

I spoke with the inventor and he asked me if the coil was still
"shiney-copper?" and I had to answer "Yes!"  He said that my antenna with
the white base insulator was probably 15 years old at the least.
Now....."THAT'S OXIDATION PROTECTION!"

So Steve, I have lots of this silicone grease stuff in a tube.  When I
thread a PL-259 or N connector into a socket prior to sealing it up
outdoors.... WHERE DO I PUT THE STUFF???   Must I keep it off the center
pin? If it gets on the center pin....will the insertion friction push the
stuff away and not prevent it from making good electrical contact?  Then
there's solving the horrendous problem of the stuff leaking out and
preventing you from making a good tape contact with the plug body... right?
Any thoughts on this subject?

Roger, K2JAS

73, de Roger, K2JAS