FW: [TowerTalk] "Using Silicone Grease"

Bob Duckworth WB4MNF@atl.org
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:11:55 -0000

If you saw my previous comment about Scotchkote and marine seismic
cable, the bit about wiping the cable dry referred to the oil that would be
leaking out. Yes, we filled the cable with oil. All connectors, wire,
transducers were in an oil bath (better than salt water :-).

I used Silicon grease on the 'N' connectors for the Navigation antennas
and great gobs of it on the screw terminals and inside the 'cheap'
rotators we used on the navigation antennas. Worked great. Only had
to climb the towers once in a year. 60' tower isn't much unless it's on a 100'
boat and seas are running good :-)

Note: This is Silicone grease, not that corrosive RTV stuff.

-bob