[TowerTalk] Spacing requirements

rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:54:13 -0800 (PST)

Tom's ideas for WA4GKM are terrific:

>Put up 160 ft of Rohn 45, guyed at 40/80/120/160 ft., preferably with
>Philystran, or at least break up your guys sufficiently.
>
>Place the 2L40's at 80/160 which is a great stacking combination.
>
>Place the TH7's at 40 and 120 ft.  Use ring rotors or sidearms to
>rotate.

But I would suggest the following.  With 40-ft guy spacing, Rohn 45 is
pretty goosey with only 4 guy levels to 160 feet.  So with this setup, I
would really recommend Rohn 55 instead of 45.  There is a BIG difference in
stability with the inch-and-a-half legs.

With either one, use the brackets and torque bars at every level, especially
if you insist on using 45.  Don't guy to individual legs.

Re the antennas, Tom didn't mention it but I assume he would agree with my
reminder that for best overall results, you should incorporate an
upper-lower-both switch in each of the two arrays.

73, Glenn K6NA