[TowerTalk] RE: Using Silicone Grease

Frank Donovan donovanf@sgate.com
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 21:37:01 -0500 (EST)

Many of my AB-105 towers and much of my hardline came from a decomissioned
over-the-horizon radar facility in Whitehouse, VA near Williamsburg.
All of their RF connectors were stuffed with dielectric silicone grease as
described in this thread.

My favorite hardware supply company stocks Dow Corning dielectric sealant!
>From the McMaster-Carr Supply Company catalog:

Dow Corning Silicone Compounds
Compounds contain silicone fluid thickened with inert silica filler for
grease-like consistency.  Non-melting, moisture resistant, and excellent
low temperature qualities.  They have a high dielectric strength and low
volatility.  Color is translucent white.

Dow No. 4 sealant - Moistureproof sealant for electrical systems meets
MIL-S-8660B.  Medium consistency.  -70 to +400 F.
Furnished in 5.3 oz tubes only.
McMaster-Carr Part Number 1204K12   $8.54 each.
(one tube goes a long way!)

McMaster-Carr sales desk  (908)329-3200   M-F 0700-2100 EST
They ship UPS on the same day the order is received..  My experience is
that if I order before 5pm, the product I ordered is on my doorstep next
day!
73
Frank
W3LPL