[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 with 4 (not 3) guys

John Brosnahan broz@csn.net
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 07:05:33 -0700 (MST)

No problem guying a Rohn tower with 4 guys instead of 3 guys.  The
tower flexes until the tensions are properly equalized.

For an example of how to do it just look up the Rohn info on their
tilt-over towers.  They use 4 guys to accomodate both the antenna
coming down between the guys and the lever arm coming up between
the guys.

If Rohn does it, then it must be OK, right!?!  The tiltover tower info applies
to both Rohn 25 and 45.

Essentially one guy is replaced with a pair of guys coming off the tower at
90 degrees.  The other two guys are each spaced 90 degrees from the
first two.  With torque arms just use a clevis through the torque arm
in the vertical plane and a second clevis through that in the horizontal
plane and attach both of the two-guys-from-one-leg to the clevis using
normal thimbles.  With guy brackets the same approach works.

With no guy brackets or torque arms, just take a double length of guy
wire, fold it in half, pass it through zig-zags properly (as Rohn recommends),
install wire rope clips, and use the two equal-length tails to take two
insulators--one for each guy wire.  I don't like this approach very well,
since it puts forces that tend to pull the wire rope clip apart, but it works
OK  (plus I don't like to guy directly to Rohn legs--I much prefer to use
a torque arm or guy bracket.

73  John  W0UN