[TowerTalk] pier pin basics

Keith Morehouse - W9RM blckhole@ripco.com
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:52:01 -0600

Pete Soper wrote:

> Now I can concentrate properly on the worry that if I don't
> insulate my EHS guys they'll direct lightning down and weld my
> turnbuckles. So much to worry about, so little time :-)

A couple 'o little 502's on the guywire won't stop a lightning strike.
It'll flash those puppies right over.

Ground all your guy wires BEFORE the turnbuckles (yep - just like in the
Rohn catalog) and ground the hell out of the base (or spark gap it).
Give that lightning a nice low Z path to ground at the tower base so it
doesn't feel that it HAS to crispy-critter your turnbuckle assemblies
and carbon track your insulators !

PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
Keith J. Morehouse /  W9RM  / Society of Midwest Contesters
847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com