[TowerTalk] More on soldering...

Barry Kutner w2up@Op.Net
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:27:10 +0000

As long as we are talking about soldering, here's a related question:

Have you ever had to repair your wire antenna in the field? Either
the wire breaks (sometimes with the help of my landscaper :.(  ), and
needs to be soldered back together; or, connection of coax to center
insulator/wire breaks from too much flapping in the breeze.

I've used my Weller 100/140W gun with success only on warm days with
little or no wind. When using a Propane torch, the wire seems to
oxidize before the solder will take, and it just balls up and drips
on my leg (ouch!) I have been using stranded cooperweld wire, and
clean it with sandpaper and/or emery cloth prior to soldering. Maybe
the oxidation between strands is part of the problem?

Be interested in hearing others' experiences... 73 Barry
--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                           Internet: w2up@op.net
Newtown, PA                   FRC            alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com