[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotors

David Robbins k1ttt@berkshire.net
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:39:17 +0000

Terry Dunlap wrote:

> At 09:22 PM 3/27/97 -0500, JAMES T BRANNIGAN wrote:
> >This is a good news/bad news item.
> >A few weeks ago I made some disparaging remarks about CDE type
> >rotators...and touted my Yaesu G-800SDX.
> >Bad News ...Last night the indicator on my six month old Yaesu
> >stopped working. (eating crow)
>
> Had the exact same problem with my 800.  If I remember correctly,

this is common problem with the whole series of g-xxxxsdx control
boxes.  the motor used to drive the indicator is cheap, probably of
the $.50 variety.  either the brushes or the commutator material
is too soft and wears off which then fills the grooves between the
commutator segments and shorts out the motor.  if you catch it
before the driver or the dropping resistors burn up you can fix it
by dissassembling the motor from the back and cleaning out the
grooves with a jewlers screwdriver.  this is only a temporary fix,
but then again so is a new motor since the replacements are the
same as the original.  it is possible to fix without completely
disassembling the drive train by just taking off enough to get to the
back side of the motor.  you can then bend out the crimps that hold
the plastic back on to the metal sides and pop the plastic off.  you
can then clean the commutator and carefully put the plastic back on.
there are convenient slots to let you insert a paperclip or something
to push the brushes back to make it go on easier.  this procedure only
took me about an hour on one rotor, where the full motor replacement
takes about 2 hours and much more disassembly of the front panel.

--
David Robbins K1TTT (ex KY1H)
k1ttt@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net