[TowerTalk] Soldering Stations (Was: Coax Connectors)

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Fri, 2 May 97 16:55:31 -0400

On 3/25/97 8:18 PM, n2nt at n2nt@hiway1.exit109.com wrote:

>As far as soldering connectors, inside or outside, there is only one
>EASY way...
>Use a TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED soldering station.
>With the right tip, the solder will flow quickly and easily, eutectic
>or not.

Years ago, I saw the most impressive demonstration of a 25 watt soldering
station.

The tip was heated with RF energy, so the pigtail was small and light
(being miniature coax with a teflon jacket). The iron had a handle with
replaceable tips, which you just pulled out and jammed in.

***ALL*** of the heat was in the furthest end of the tip. Salesman did a
demo where he took a piece of copper clad board, dropped a penny on it,
put the iron to the penny and then applied solder. In 15 seconds, he was
pushing the (now tinned) penny around in a molten pool of solder. Remove
the iron, and the penny was soldered in place.

He then reached over with his bare hand and withdrew the tip from the
handle! Since all the heat was in the tip, and got transferred to the
work, there was practically no heating of the body of the tip, just the
end.

This device had several tips, including those that could solder/unsolder
an entire DIP package at once.

Temperature of the tip was precisely controlled within a few degrees. You
could hold the iron on a PC board trace for hours and not separate the
trace from the board.

Like I said, this was very impressive. Of course, at $1000 a pop, they
were a bit pricy. I'm sure such an iron could easily solder all four
holes of a PL-259.

I have no idea who the manufacturer was, as this was long ago.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901